Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Taxes, Subsidies and Sound Bites !!

In the economics class today, there was an interesting discussion on how externalities can lead to taxation or subsidies and how these impact both producers and consumers. With the examples and graphs that were mentioned, these concepts are now well embedded in to my brain.

Next was the Communication Skills Session, where we practiced handling difficult questions and facing media. Interesting bit for me was the concept of Sound Bite and how it has now evolved from a 30 second duration to a 10 second duration.

Not to mention, again it was the day when two classes complemented each other, and played well. Just when we finished understanding effects of negative externalities, we started handling the BP Oil Spill case in the communication skills class. Of course I think today it was a coincidence, but if it was planned by someone sitting in the IMBA office, I cannot admire that person enough !!

After the classes, I visited Library today - first time since the program started. It's a nice place, very quite compared to the constant traffic sound on Maria De Molina.

I don't know how occupied it is on week-ends, and whether it is open on weekends, but its a good place to do some quiet study. I know what you are thinking - that's what the Libraries are for :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment