Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Beginnings ..

During my anticipations of the D-Day, I always remembered a scene from one of the famous Bollywood Movies, where Amitabh Bachchan - the Indian Superstar delivers a opening day speech "Tradition, Discipline, Honor - these are core values of this institution ....."
I wasn't sure if I should expect something similar today, yet the excitement was high (despite the chilling Madrid weather this morning) and so were the expectations. So, here's about the actual experience.

When the bus ride began, I knew this ride of 1 hour was a good chance to begin with "networking" and I mean, I did get the name, background, etc of the Peruvian guy sitting next to me, but then we left each other at that and started enjoying the amazing view on both sides of the road to Segovia - the snow clad mountains, the ancient and rural buildings and the beautiful landscape around. I have got to go back to this place with my camera!!

Day started with breakfast and the time was meant to be spent mingling with classmates - Meet and greet people, ask them names, become friends with them - hmmm - Will I remember these names tomorrow? Not sure, lets give it a try anyways!!

I was never so good at introductions, so instead of individual 'Hi's and 'Hello's I started joining groups and when somebody said, "hey I don't know your name yet", there used to be a round of introductions by all.
During all the mingling sessions today, it was the same pattern for me and at the end of it all, I remembered no names at all !!
There is one exception to this though - When I had just moved out of one of the groups and was hunting for the next group to join in, suddenly a girl walked over to me and said "hi, I am Natalie" and then we talked for a couple of minutes and dispersed. So, apart from the introduction in bus, this was the only one-to-one introduction I got involved into and I remember the name. If I hear too many of them, I forget them all - I think next time, I should go for one-to-one talks rather than group talks.

Opening Ceremony speeches were good - some better than others. In fact the Dean's speech was really a welcome note than a speech.

And yes, although I didn't get an answer to my question/concern right away during the Key Note Speaker's QnA session - when this person Erik, who was coordinating the ceremony crossed me during the break, he immediately said "You are jumping the gun. Don't worry, we will get there".
That was all I needed to hear and He made sure I got my answer :-)

While returning back from Segovia, with a little stimulation from all the Wine consumed at lunch time, I started to process the whole thing.

First thought which came to my mind was the buzzword - Action Learning: Learning by actually doing it, learning something by experiencing it - And then, as per my usual inclination towards finding symbolism and metaphors, the thought process began.

Isn't it more effective to show the cultural heritage which IE has adopted, which it cherishes and which it is helping preserve than to just say, we value culture and tradition; isn't it more fascinating to experience a ride through green landscapes, admiring and appreciating the beauty of mother Earth and falling in love with it all over again, than to hear a speech on conservation of nature.
What can convey the message on strength of the IE community more effectively than the ancient roman era aqua-duct, standing tall for last 2000 years, only because the bond between each of the individual stones is so strong that they have never needed any artificial cementing.
Isn't seeing all those flags proudly pinned to attires of everyone, and the variety in them a better way to communicate the global outlook and diversity at IE?
What can be a better way of assuring that this experience will change our life and will enable us with all the tools and all the help that we want for changing the world, than to take us all within the same walls, where Christopher Columbus met Queen Isabella and solicited her support and funding for his Voyage to the land of golden opportunities.
Isn't this historical event good enough to serve also as a beacon of hope for all the aspiring Entrepreneurs among us?
Wow !! I think I am going to like this place :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment