Monday, April 8, 2013

A Day of Self-Assessment and ofcourse the Fifth Brethren court :-)

Today was the last day of our Orientation program. There was a workshop by CMC on CV and CL, and it was very informative. Magali introduced us with various nuances of CV and CL writing with some tips and examples. The real take away for me from this session was the simple Self-Assessment tool - the piece of paper with some questions that helped me know my areas of improvement. I am definitely keeping this paper for future use.

And then, there was the Action Learning exercise before this workshop. While discussing about problems that our Ice-Cream Bungee can encounter, Ilya came up with a theory from Physics. If we drop from a height more than this, as per laws of Physics, the device will turn upside down. Wow !! I mean I had been in so many discussions and meetings as part of my job, but it was almost after 10 years that I heard some reference to Physics. It felt good. It reminded me that I am back to school and there is so much more to learn from my fellow classmates.

The real take-away of the day was from the posters exercise. We created it and sent out Said as our Rep to fight for our product. And then, when 10 such Reps gathered, the fifth brethren court began.

Our instructor chose to act as Teague, reading out the code and observing the proceedings that followed. Christine started out with a reasonable argument that there is a different objective before us now, but that didn't prevent the brethren court from commencing. Soon, the floor looked exactly the same as the fourth brethren court in 'Pirates of the Caribbean' where every pirate was fighting for himself.
Within few minutes the discussion turned into chaos.
And it is not the Reps to blame. They were doing exactly the same thing that any one of us would have done. They were our representatives and our reflections.
Soon, I realized, I am nothing more than some pirate, if I can't let go off this behavior. The lesson is learnt !!
Of course, we did have a Captain Jack Sparrow amongst us, in form of Emiliano, who kept on saying 'I like that one better' even after the voting concluded. It looked funny initially, but when we came to know that he is actually giving away his prize and saying that some other poster is better than his [which everyone has voted to be the best], the generosity in his act was evident.
And our group also learned another lesson - Don't limit yourself to Black and Blue ink, only because it is stated so. Use as many resources as you can, to make your poster click :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment