Friday, September 27, 2013

Wrap-ups, advices and the limelight: A day of mixed feelings

Two sessions in a row of Luis S. and Luis for Investment Analysis and Managerial Accounting to wrap up the two of my favorite courses in this term.

It was a morning that brought along mixed feelings - the thoughts that I will not be learning from these two great teachers again, the sense of achievement that I actually learned finance and accounting thanks to these two and the anxiety of the final exam coming soon, it was all bubbling up in my mind.

Both Luis discussed the final group work that they had asked us to do in last week, provided their take on the cases and then shared some final words of advice.

Luis S. reminded us that there will be ambiguities in every decision, and he will be more happy that we remember this, despite may be forgetting what he taught about wacc and CAPM. He also advised us to not carry a gun, unless we are going to use it :-)
"Education is what remains long after we have forgotten what we learned" was the best quote as per me that he gave us today.

Luis on the other hand reminded us, as a manager, do not trust the accountant blindly. ask for the assumptions behind each number, the methods used and make informed decisions. Sometimes common sense is more important than numbers, was his argument for the concluding remarks.

When it was finally time to end the session, I had a S.T.A.R. [something that all will remember] moment when I gave a comment in cost accounting lingo about the negative grading. I think Luis really liked the comment.

Just as we finished this class, and I checked facebook, Shalabh, my flatmate had posted about my interview published by the Asiapac IE office on its blog page. I mean I knew that it would be published some day, as I had answered those questions during the holidays, but I also was expecting an email from Dirk informing me about the publishing.
Anyways, as I was not aware that this interview is already out there, it came as a pleasant surprise to me.

For those keen to read it, here is the link:
http://asiapacific.blogs.ie.edu/archives/2013/08/416-a-unique-journey.php

And now I also know how in the last two weeks I met at least three people who stopped me on my way to classes and told me that they liked my blog, even though it was the first time I was meeting them. Unfortunately, each time I was about to be late for a class and so had to rush without asking them their names and also how they came to know about it.

Anyways, as I said earlier, a day of mixed feelings. A day which has created cherished memories - about the blog, about Luis S. who was always so keen to share so much knowledge on every small number we dealt with, about Luis who was patient enough to explain the concepts again and again until everyone understood, about the exams which are so close now !!

Had a great dinner made by Yehia at his place tonight, with my EM group and tonight will be the night I finish all my group work, to start studying from tomorrow.

Until next week, weekends are not going to be weekends, so not really a Friday night feeling as I am writing this post :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment