Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Double Dose and the Aptitude !!

Today, we had a double dose of Strategy. That was part of the reason why we had to stay back in School yesterday for so long - apart from all the other work, we had to read two long cases of Strategy.

Well, frankly, I could maintain my enthusiasm during the first case, but lost it towards the end of second case - and I am talking both about the reading last night and the class today. Three hours of Strategy class - its just overwhelming!!

This double dose was followed by the in-class visit by CMC, where-in Magali came in to talk about the Career Fair we will have in October. It was good to know about this career fair.

Then was the class for Investment Analysis. I had already come prepared - although one of my assumptions turned out to be wrong, my methodology was correct. Yippee !!

I am seriously impressed with the knowledge this guy has. When somebody mentioned inflation, he started talking about nominal and real productions, when someone mentioned if assumptions in the case were right, he started talking about risk analysis and sensitivity and simulations and base cases. And yes, he threw in so many concepts of Accounting while working on proformas.

Its like he already knows what all stuff we have learned in term one and is leveraging on that knowledge to take us a step further and at the same time, he is knowledgeable on all these topics to the extent that he can steer us comfortably through this process. Amazing!!

And at the end of today's class, Luis said an interesting thing: "In the next session, I want you all to come with a decision. I don't care, if you like numbers and take this decision by using this excel exercise, and I don't care if you don't have a finance background. As Managers, YOU WILL HAVE TO DEVELOP AN APTITUDE TO TAKE DECISIONS, no matter what"

Well, that sums it all up. Statement of the day :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment