Monday, February 10, 2014

going beyond competitive necessities

Today is the day I used the 3D printer for the first time. From design, scaling, exporting to proper format, and other steps of CAD all the way until setting up the 3D printer, configuring and leveling it, feeding it with a filament and actually getting something printed. I did it all - Occasion was the 'Safety and Basic Usage' workshop for 3-D printing as part of the Hands-On Rapid Innovation Accelerator course, conducted by Chris.

Well, pretty exciting stuff - although it took me almost 3 hours in the night to go through the entire thing, all that time was worth it. I printed a small Ganesha and a table wedge and I think I am going to keep these two with me for a long time, as memoir of my first ever 3D printing experience.

As for my rest of the day, it was great as well. Morning started with Applied Corporate Finance class, where Conchita explained different types of Bonds, from a Callable Bond to a Convertible Bond. It was a good session, I would say.

And then, it was first day of what is going to be two weeks of the Technology & Business Strategy class, which will take place between 4 PM until 7 PM everyday from today until next Friday. Our professor Ramiro Montealegre, started the class on a musical note, playing 'lets get this party started' for a couple of minutes just before the clock hit 4 PM. But as soon as it was 4 PM, he dived in to the case for today, of American Well - As this class has 30% participation, there were many what I now call MBA-talk comments, but soon Prof Ramiro contained the discussion and got it flowing right on the track.

With a wide experience working for many governments, implementing their strategic technology projects, and currently teaching at four leading business schools of the world, Prof. Ramiro made sure that the class remains engaged and involved for the double session, that is scheduled to be just after the lunch time. And the lingo he used, the industry examples he illustrated to explain various concepts, took me back so many times to the good old days at Infosys, at UBS office, at Credit Suisse office - in this class, I felt I was time traveling to things that we do and say back at work, and felt like this class was my attempt to make those various practices better. Too deep, ain't it? Never mind :-)

Anyways, one of the longest days in terms of classes for me here at IE, precedinganother day that I know is scheduled to offer me 13 hours of classes with just an hour's break time in between and yet, I feel great. The reason being, I was part of the class that discussed technology landscape of today, that discussed how technology can be improved from just being a competitive necessity to a competitive advantage, and towards the end of it, I was part of a workshop where I employed modern technology for rapid prototyping of ideas :-)

Hasta Manana amigos :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment